March 20, 2008

Buckskin and Antelope Canyons

Our desert trip continued to Paria Canyon. I had big plans to hike the Wire Pass to Buckskin Gulch, which is about 4 miles of hiking through slot canyon and actually passable with a kid. We made it to the BLM and were strongly encouraged not to drive out to the trail head secondary to muddy/ impassable roads (we had a rental car without 4 wheel drive). I was almost in tears... We traveled over 2400 miles to go into a slot canyon. I was ready to give up when a jeep of fellow hikers told us to follow them. We made it to and from the trail head with no problems other than a little beautiful red mud on the car.



The hike was beautiful. Nothing beats a slot canyon in my eyes.















We then moved onto Page, Arizona; home of the well know Antelope Canyons. I have seen pictures of these canyons... but needed to see them with my own eyes, especially if I wanted to use similar pictures to decorate my house. Well, the canyon was very beautiful as you can see from the pictures... but the magic of the desert red rock was lost because of how populated the canyon was. Only tours can go to these canyons and it cost us nearly $35 per person. The canyon was packed full of other tourists- not unlike ourselves. It was quite disheartening... but we still were able to take some fantastic pictures.

1 comment:

Jo and Jeff said...

wow, really amazing pictures. Looks like fun!